Ride To The Sun is an annual cycling event where participants cycle from Carlisle to Cramond overnight on the weekend closest to the Summer Solstice, with well over one thousand taking part. You can find out more on the webpage and facebook site.
Craigalmond Explorers run a service to transport cyclists and their bikes from Edinburgh to Carlisle and also help staff the cafe in Cramond Kirk Hall which is run to raise funds for a local charity Freshstart who help people who have experienced homelessness set up their new home.
The planning, taking bookings and management of the service is organised by the District Explorer team, with a team of around 50+ Scouting volunteers working a range of shifts non-stop from Saturday 24th June at 12:00 to Sunday 25th June at 16:00.
The service raises a substantial amount of funds which are shared between local Scouting groups that provide support the service or have volunteers taking part to be used to support their local Scout programme for young people.
What do volunteers do
Over the 24 hour period we are active, volunteers will be given a shift which is typically from 4 to 8 hours long, and to help with tasks like:
- Loading bikes onto lorries
- Manning check-in
- Managing bag return
- Preparing or cooking hot food and drinks
- Acting as cashier for the cafe
How to Volunteer
Explorer Units are encouraged to volunteer if they wish to raise funds for a substantial project ( camping equipment, hall refurb, international camp, etc.)
We ask that a number of adults ( leaders, parents or supporters) volunteer along with Explorer Scouts given the responsibilities of certain roles.
- Unit Leaders should email the District Explorer Commissioner to request the Unit takes part and outline how the Unit will use the funds raised.
- They will receive a link which can be shared with members of the Unit – any member can register themselves and family/friends using this link.
- We will allocated roles to everyone who has registered based in when they are available over the 24 hour period of Ride To The Sun, and send them details.
Participants selected for International Events
Adult Volunteers, Network, Explorer Scouts and Scouts representing the Region or Scouts Scotland/UK at international events such as the World Jamboree or and Blair Atholl are welcome to volunteer to raise funds towards participation in these events.